
Escape to Paradise: Unbelievable Kokoon Hotel Surabaya Experience!
Escape to Paradise? More Like a Whirlwind of Wonder and… Well, Let’s Get Real: A Kokoon Hotel Surabaya Review (SEO-fied & Thoroughly Unhinged)
(Keywords: Kokoon Hotel Surabaya, Surabaya hotel review, accessible hotel, spa Surabaya, luxury hotel, family-friendly hotel, best Surabaya restaurants, Surabaya swimming pool, Indonesian hospitality, hotel experience, travel review, Indonesia travel)
Alright, buckle up buttercups, because I just survived… ahem… experienced the Kokoon Hotel Surabaya. And let me tell you, it was a trip. A whirlwind tour of spa treatments, questionable buffet decisions, and enough air conditioning to build a miniature Arctic. Let's get real, this ain’t some perfectly polished travel brochure, this is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but… (except maybe a small white lie or two about how much I actually enjoyed that soup).
Accessibility: A Mixed Bag, Bless Their Hearts
Okay, first things first - accessibility. The website says they're doing their best, and bless their hearts, they seem to be trying. I'm no mobility expert, but I poked around. Wheelchair accessible? Yes, they boast about it, and the public spaces are generally navigable. Elevators are present and accounted for, and from what I saw, the ramps seemed decent. HOWEVER, and this is a big HOWEVER, the website is not descriptive enough and clear instructions are a must. It’s all about communicating about what has been setup for disable guests which is not clear on the website.
Rooms are okay, they have the basics covered for the disabled people. Getting to the rooms and through the lobbies could be a bit challenging navigating, but they really try to make it doable.
Internet: So Fast, You'll Still Be Checking Your Phone
Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! Woohoo! They really are true to their words. Internet [LAN] too! (Though honestly, who uses LAN anymore? Show of hands!) The Internet services themselves were… mostly reliable. Got a few hiccups, which is kinda annoying if you're trying to post pictures of your ridiculously over-priced cocktail. Wi-Fi in public areas seemed better, which is just typical.
Things to Do: Paradise Found? Maybe…
Ways to relax? Oh, honey, they went for it. Body scrub, body wrap, massage, foot bath, spa, spa/sauna, sauna, steamroom, and a pool with a view. Sounds amazing, right? Well, it was amazing. The massage? Heaven. The scrub? Made me feel like a brand new woman… until I got back in my room and immediately spilled coffee on my pristine white robe. The spa facilities were clean, the people were professional and skilled. If you're looking to unwind, this is your place. But don't expect too much after the spa experience.
Fitness center and Gym/Fitness: Looked decent, although I mostly admired it from the outside while devouring a plate of questionable pastries. (More on those later… maybe.)
Swimming Pool & Outdoor Swimming Pool: Well, the pool was beautiful. Absolutely Instagram-worthy. But it was also… crowded. A lot of shrieking children and selfie-stick wielding tourists. I did manage to snag a sun lounger eventually, but honestly, I prefer my own bathtub.
Cleanliness and Safety: Scrubbing for the Win!
Okay, safety is paramount. They put a lot of effort in it. Anti-viral cleaning products, daily disinfection in common areas, hand sanitizer, hot water linen and laundry washing, individually-wrapped food options, physical distancing of at least 1 meter, professional-grade sanitizing services, room sanitization opt-out available, rooms sanitized between stays, safe dining setup, sanitized kitchen and tableware items, staff trained in safety protocol, sterilizing equipment. It's an impressive list! I felt pretty safe, to be honest. They were taking precautions seriously, which, in these times, is a big plus.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: A Culinary Rollercoaster
This is where things get…interesting. The restaurants are varied, and the options are plentiful.
- Breakfast [buffet]: Buffet Restaurant. Ah, the buffet. A battlefield of culinary temptation. The Asian breakfast was actually pretty great (the Nasi Goreng was divine), but the Western breakfast… well, let's just say the scrambled eggs tasted suspiciously like they'd been made with a packet of instant regret. The buffet was huge, and there was everything, starting from Asian cuisine in restaurant to Western cuisine in restaurant.
- Restaurants: There's definitely a mix of things. A la carte in restaurant, Asian cuisine in restaurant, International cuisine in restaurant, Vegetarian restaurant (thank goodness).
- Coffee/tea in restaurant & Coffee shop: great in comparison.
- Room service [24-hour]: yes, they have. This came in handy at 3 am when I had a craving for something sweet.
- Desserts in restaurant: They were pretty good, but not to write home about.
- Salad in restaurant: Was just ok.
- Soup in restaurant: I'm afraid its tasteless and watery
- Poolside bar: Great pool area, but overpriced drinks.
- Snack bar: Was just ok.
- Happy hour: Great!
Services and Conveniences: The Little Things That Matter (Mostly)
Air conditioning in public area? Absolutely. You'll need it, trust me. Concierge: Super helpful. Daily housekeeping: Excellent. Cleaned the room and tidied everything. Elevator: Essential. Facilities for disabled guests: As mentioned, they're trying. Food delivery: Convenient. Laundry service, Ironing service: All useful. Valet parking: Luxurious, if you’re into that sort of thing. Meetings, Seminars, on-site event hosting, Indoor venue for special events, Outdoor venue for special events, and Audio-visual equipment for special events. If you want to do business and party. The Kokoon Hotel is the right choice.
For the Kids: Kid-Friendly, To a Point
Babysitting service: Available. Family/child friendly: Definitely. Kids facilities: Appeared to be present. I had a kid in the room next to me, which made me wonder if they had a Kids meal.
Rooms: My Cozy (Mostly) Cave
The rooms themselves were, at least, comfortable. Air conditioning, alarm clock, bathrobes, bathtub, black-out curtains, coffee/tea maker, free bottled water, hair dryer, in-room safe box, internet access – wireless, iron facilities, mini bar, non-smoking, private bathroom, refrigerator, satellite/cable channels, seating area, separate shower/bathtub, shower, slippers, smoke detector, soundproofing, telephone, toiletries, towels, wake-up service, Wi-Fi [free], window that opens. Everything the modern traveler needs!
- The bed was comfy.
- The bathroom was clean.
- My view? Well, let’s just say it wasn’t the ocean view I’d secretly hoped for, but hey, it had a window.
- They have additional toilet too!
Getting Around: Easy Peasy, Lemon Squeezy… Mostly.
Airport transfer: Definitely use it. The Surabaya traffic is a beast. Car park [free of charge] and Car park [on-site]: They got you covered. Taxi service: Always available.
My Singular, Defining Kokoon Experience: The Toilet Paper Incident
Okay, I promised messy, so here it is. One morning, after a particularly invigorating session at the spa, I entered my bathroom. Only to find… no toilet paper. Zero. Zilch. Now, this might not seem like a big deal to some, but when you're staring at a mountain of pastries from breakfast and the consequences… well, let's just say it was a defining moment. I had to call down to reception, mortified, and wait. The minutes ticked by, stretching into an eternity. Finally, a harried-looking staff member turned up with the precious roll. It was a moment of pure, unadulterated relief. This is what I remember and will remember forever.
The Verdict: Worth It? Maybe…
Look, the Kokoon Hotel Surabaya has its flaws. A few questionable buffet choices, the occasional internet blip, and the aforementioned toilet paper incident. But! It also has its strengths: a stunning spa, a beautiful pool, and a genuine effort to provide a comfortable stay. The staff is friendly and attentive, the rooms are comfortable (mostly), and the location is convenient. Overall, I'd say it's a good choice, with a few caveats. Just triple-check your room inventory before you settle in and always… always… pack a spare roll of toilet paper. You never know.
Metadata for SEO purposes:
- Title: Kokoon Hotel Surabaya Review: A Wild Ride Through Paradise (and the Buffet)
- Keywords: Kokoon Hotel Surabaya, Surabaya hotel review, accessible hotel, spa Surabaya, luxury hotel, family-friendly hotel, best

Surabaya: Kokoon Hotel, Chaos & Cockroaches (Oh My!) - A "Trip" Diary
Okay, buckle up buttercups, because this isn't your glossy travel brochure. This is ME, back from Surabaya, and still trying to untangle the threads of a few days at the Kokoon Hotel. Let's just say it was… an experience.
Pre-Trip Panic & Packed Bags (Days Before)
So, Surabaya. Why Surabaya? Honestly? No clue. My friend, Sarah, insisted. "Authentic Indonesia! Cheap! Adventure!" My brain screamed "Malaria!" but my bank account whimpered "Okay…". Packing was a warzone. Mountains of clothes, a questionable amount of insect repellent (pro-tip: double it), and the eternal struggle to fit everything into a carry-on. I swear, I packed enough sunscreen to protect the entire Indonesian coastline.
Day 1: Arrival - Jet Lag & the Search for Nasi Goreng (with Cockroach Companions?)
Time: 6:00 AM - Arrival at Juanda International Airport (Bleary-eyed and sweating)
Transportation: Taxi (Negotiated down from a ridiculous price - victory!)
Location: Kokoon Hotel, Surabaya - Check-in. OMG, the lobby is gorgeous. All sleek lines and mood lighting. I thought, "Wow, maybe Sarah was right! Luxury!"
Activity: Luggage drop, immediate nap. Jet lag is a beast. I swear, I woke up in a panic thinking I was late for a meeting with a sloth.
My Feelings: Joy, at first. Followed by the creeping dread of being in a foreign country, alone (Sarah was still "experiencing" the airport). And then, BANG - sheer, unadulterated HUNGER.
Minor Category: The initial check-in process was… a learning experience. Paperwork, smiles, more paperwork. Finally, a key card! Freedom! (From the lobby, at least)
Time: 1:00 PM - Post-nap adventure!
Transportation: Taxi (again)
Location: Street-side warung (local food stall) near the hotel. I was determined to find the legendary Nasi Goreng.
Activity: Ordered Nasi Goreng. Devoured it. It was divine. Honestly, I nearly cried. Spice level perfection.
Quirky Observation: The guy next to me was meticulously picking through his rice, and then, BAM! A tiny cockroach scuttled across my plate.
- My Reaction: Panic. Screaming internally. Tried to look casual, but I'm pretty sure the local waiter saw the sheer terror on my face (and maybe the cockroach too… I'm still not sure if I actually saw it). I pretended it was a "mystery protein" and kept eating. (Don't judge me. Jet lag.)
Minor Category: Finding the hotel bathroom. Wandering, lost, sweating, and questioning my life choices. Let's just say the 'plumbing' was… an adventure.
Time: 4:00 PM - Back at Kokoon.
Location: Kokoon Hotel - Exploring the Hotel Facilities
Activity: Exploring the hotel. Swimming pool - check. Gym - check. I went to the gym. 5 minutes in, I gave up. The humidity was crushing my soul.
My Feelings: Overwhelmed by the sheer luxury of the hotel. Still terrified of cockroaches. Slightly worried about where Sarah had disappeared to.
Quirky Observation: The hotel smelled faintly of incense and… ambition? It was a weird combo. The scent seemed to shift with the time of day, one moment I'm in a zen garden, the next i'm in a car repair shop .
Minor Category: The complimentary welcome drink was delicious. Cold, refreshing, and possibly the only thing getting me through.
Day 2: The Surabaya Zoo - And Why I Might Need Therapy
- Time: 9:00 AM - The Zoo. (I really wasn't sure, but Sarah strong-armed me).
- Transportation: Taxi (again)
- Location: Surabaya Zoo (Kebun Binatang Surabaya)
- Activity: Oh, dear Lord. This was… an experience. Let's just say the animals looked less "flourishing" and more "existential crisis."
- My Feelings: Disbelief. Sadness. Anger. (Mainly at whoever decided to put those creatures in those conditions.) I saw a lion that looked like he was contemplating the meaning of life, stuck in a tiny, barren enclosure. The smell… oh, the smell. Did I mention the smell?
- Quirky Observation: The monkeys. They were the highlight, in a horrific sort of way. They were so bored, they'd figured out how to steal snacks from the visitors. Smart but sad. I'm still haunted by one in particular, wearing a tiny stolen hat.
- Minor Category: The gift shop offered "exclusive" animal-themed souvenirs. I spent zero rupiah there.
- Emotional Reaction: Full-blown emotional breakdown. I have a very strong empathy drive. I think I need therapy after this. This was hard to watch really, really hard. I wanted to save them all.
(RANT ALERT! Skip if you're not into a rant.)
The Surabaya Zoo. It's… it's not good. I'm trying to be diplomatic here. The enclosures were small, the animals looked neglected (or overfed, and I think it's overfeeding by the locals), and the whole place just had a feeling of… despair. I’ve read opinions on it, and some say it’s improved, some say it's getting bad, but the fact that I saw this means that the poor animals are still suffering. I'm not even sure I can bring myself to put any photos here. It’s one of the saddest things I've ever seen in my life. The animals are not cared for, there is no proper hygiene, and their enclosures are incredibly small. I am writing this from my house, with a full view of all the animals I've got at home, and I'm still crying thinking about those poor creatures. I'm not going to lie, I was heartbroken. Okay, rant over. Stepping down from the soapbox.
Day 3: Shopping & Farewell (with a side of indigestion)
Time: 10:00 AM - Shopping (Because, apparently, I needed more stuff).
Transportation: Taxi
Location: Local market. Think a chaotic mix of textiles, electronics, and questionable street food.
Activity: Bargaining. Buying a hideous batik shirt. Eating something that may or may not have been meat.
My Feelings: Overwhelmed. Exhilarated. Slightly terrified.
Quirky Observation: The locals were incredibly, genuinely friendly. Even when I was haggling over the price of a plastic spoon (don't ask).
Minor Category: The street food! Delicious! But… my stomach and I are apparently not as adventurous as I thought. (Indigestion central)
Emotional Reaction: An hour later the indigestion hit. I was dying from the inside. My guts were churning, my face was pale, and I truly thought I was going to die violently.
Time: 2:00 PM - Back at Kokoon & Goodbye.
Transportation: Taxi
Location: Kokoon Hotel, Surabaya - Check out.
Activity: Bag packing. Last-minute shower. Contemplating the meaning of Nasi Goreng.
My Feelings: Relief (to be leaving). Sadness (to be leaving Sarah). A vague sense of "what even was that?". And a burning need to take a long bath.
Quirky Observation: The hotel staff were lovely, even if they were a little… baffled by me. I'm pretty sure they thought I was a walking disaster.
Minor Category: The airport. Another long queue. Another passport check. The sweet, sweet promise of home.
Final Emotional Reaction: Exhausted. (But in a good way?) Would I go back? Maybe. With a hazmat suit. And a whole lot of therapy.
Final Thoughts & Reflections:
Surabaya was… a trip. It was messy, chaotic, and often terrifying. But it was also vibrant, exciting, and filled with moments of pure, unadulterated joy. I learned a lot (mostly about my own limitations and the importance of insect repellent). I'm still not sure if I actually saw that cockroach, or if it was a figment of my jet-lagged imagination. But, nonetheless, I will never forget it, and that is the point of travel. Remembered experiences are better than perfect moments. Now, where did I put that anti-nausea medication…
Harlingen's BEST Kept Secret: Residence Inn Review (TX)
So, is the Kokoon REALLY an "Escape to Paradise?" (Spoiler Alert: Don't Believe Everything)
Alright, let's be brutally honest: "Paradise" is a *strong* word. I mean, I love a good vacation, but I wouldn't classify this as finding the lost city of Atlantis. Kokoon? It's more like… *comfortable*. Think well-designed with a few hiccups. They try, bless their hearts, they really do. But paradise? Nah. I'd probably save that for a trip to the Maldives, not Surabaya. Still, it was pretty darn good.
What's the Vibe? Instagrammable or "Real Life Feels?"
Okay, Instagrammers, listen up. The Kokoon IS visually stunning. Think sleek, modern, with these pops of Indonesian art. Seriously, the lobby? Beautiful. You'll want to snap pictures of everything. HOWEVER… and this is a big HOWEVER… there's a slight disconnect. Like, the pictures? They're perfect. Reality? Sometimes the AC in my room sounded like a jet engine taking off, and the "luxury bath products" felt like they were trying to strip a layer of skin off. But hey, at least the Wi-Fi usually worked – a crucial factor in this day and age. My one-person photoshoot (me in a robe) went down fantastically, albeit with the aforementioned jet engine accompaniment.
Let's Talk Rooms. Worth the Hype (and Money)?
The rooms... alright, I had the 'Deluxe' room, okay? It wasn't *deluxe*. It was a nice, clean room. The bed was comfy, the sheets were soft, and the view (I THINK it was a view, hard to tell with the Surabaya smog) was… there. But 'deluxe'? No. I've seen Motel 6s with more… well, let's just say "character." What *was* great, though, was the water pressure in the shower! Seriously, sometimes you just need a good, powerful shower after a long day haggling at the local market, you know? The mini-bar, however, I can't vouch for as I basically forgot to look in it until checkout. Lesson learned, people.
Food, Glorious Food! The Restaurant Rundown.
This is where things get interesting. The main restaurant… I went every morning for breakfast, and I *loved* it. The Indonesian options were incredible, seriously, amazing nasi goreng. The pastries? Hit or miss. One day, a pain au chocolat that was pure heaven. The next? Stale. But the staff! They were so friendly. I swear, they memorized my coffee order in like... two days? Little things like that make a difference. One morning, I swear, I saw a kid sneeze into the buffet. I didn't eat their for a few minutes, but I was back. You live and you learn...and you always bring your hand sanitizer. Lunch and dinner? Meh. I ventured out. Surabaya has much better street food options. Trust me on this.
The Pool: Oasis or… Just a Pool?
The pool… okay, it *looked* amazing. Pictures? Stunning. Bali Bali Bali vibes. The reality? Well, the water was a bit… chilly, and the sun loungers were often taken by the time I got there (I'm a late riser, sue me). And the occasional screaming kids. Honestly, I'm not the biggest pool person, but it was a nice spot to unwind after a long day of... well, doing nothing, which is often what a vacation is all about. Let's just say I appreciate the *idea* of a pool more than the actual experience there. I'm not gonna lie, one day I went in the afternoon, and the sun was so intense that I had to retreat to the shade, but then the shade was… already claimed. Sigh. Welcome to vacationing.
Anything Else a Would-Be Guest *Needs* to Know? (The Important Stuff!)
Okay, a few things. First, the location is decent. Not smack-dab in the middle of everything, but close enough to get a Grab (Indonesian Uber) easily. The staff are lovely, genuinely. The language barrier can be a bit tricky, but they try their best. Secondly, the gym… well, I didn't go. Does that tell you anything? Okay, so you're not a gym person, and I'm not a gym person. We can be friends. Finally… this is important… *brace yourself* for the traffic in Surabaya. Seriously. Give yourself extra time to get anywhere. It's legendary. Seriously, don't even try to walk anywhere. It's a nightmare. Take a Grab, or accept your fate and embrace the slow crawl. It is what it is. Which leads me to my final point....
My Final Point: I found myself in a *very* interesting situation there. I was at the hotel bar one night, nursing a Singha, when the bartender, a jovial man named Budi, started telling me about his cats back home. He had three cats. And they were all named after famous Indonesian historical figures. I kid you not. Sukarno, Hatta, and… I can't remember the third one. We ended up talking for like, an hour about the cats, the history of Surabaya, and the best places to get street food. It was entirely unexpected. It was *charming*. It was the sort of thing that you *can't* plan for, the kind of experience that you never get from a brochure. It made the whole trip worthwhile and now I have been thinking about those cats for 2 weeks. I miss Sukarno and Hatta and … well, you get the picture. That's what made it so good. And that's the kind of thing you *need* to know.
So, Would You Go Back?
Hmm… that's a tough one. Would I *specifically* choose the Kokoon again? Maybe. If I was looking for a solid, comfortable, reasonably-priced hotel in Surabaya, absolutely. The staff were great, the breakfast was divine, and, let's be honest, I'm a sucker for a comfy bed. But "Escape to Paradise?" No. But the cats? Definitely a paradise! I'd go back to hear about those cats again.


Post a Comment for "Escape to Paradise: Unbelievable Kokoon Hotel Surabaya Experience!"