
Unbelievable Deal! Richmond Hotel Matsumoto: Your Dream Japan Getaway Awaits!
Unbelievable Deal! Richmond Hotel Matsumoto: My Messy, Honest, Mostly Awesome Japanese Adventure! (A Review)
Okay, buckle up, because this isn't your typical sanitized hotel review. This is me – freshly back from a whirlwind trip to Japan, armed with a slightly frazzled mind and a very particular opinion of the Richmond Hotel Matsumoto. And let me tell you, it's a mixed bag. A beautiful, bewildering, occasionally frustrating, but ultimately worth it bag.
SEO & Metadata (We'll Get to the Meat Later!):
- Title: Richmond Hotel Matsumoto Review: Japan Getaway - Accessibility, Amenities, & Honest Opinions!
- Keywords: Richmond Hotel Matsumoto, Matsumoto Japan, Japan hotel review, accessible hotel, wheelchair accessible, spa, pool, wifi, free wifi, restaurant, Japanese hotel, family friendly, breakfast buffet, Matsumoto Castle, Japan travel, review, honest, affordable, clean, good value, hotel deal, travel guide, Japan, hotel
- Meta Description: A detailed, honest review of the Richmond Hotel Matsumoto, covering everything from accessibility and amenities to the food and my own personal, sometimes chaotic, experiences. Get ready for a real Japan travel insight!
First Impressions (and a Bit of a Panic):
Landing in Matsumoto was like stepping into a postcard. Seriously, jaw-droppingly beautiful. And then, the inevitable culture shock sets in. I had the Richmond Hotel Matsumoto booked, and as a somewhat anxious traveler with a (let's be honest) rusty Japanese language skill, I was slightly terrified. Finding the hotel wasn't too bad. The train station is right there, and it practically glows with a neon promise of "Comfort!"
Accessibility - The Good, the Bad, and the Slightly Confusing:
Right off the bat, the accessibility gave me a mostly good feeling. Wheelchair accessible? Yep. Elevators everywhere (thank heavens!), ramps where needed, and generally wide hallways. Though, some parts felt a tiny bit too accommodating (like a strange obsession with overly wide doors) which, admittedly, is a nice problem to have versus the opposite! I didn't need all that but it was there, and that’s the idea.
But… There was this one tiny hiccup with getting into the restaurant at breakfast. A slight (and I mean slight) incline that a wheelchair might require a little assistance on, which wasn't ideal. Just a small thing, really, but it's that sort of micro-challenge that can be a pain when you are already thinking about twenty things at once.
(Rambling slightly): The hotel itself seemed like the perfect home base to go exploring. I mean, I wanted to see the castle, the famous Matsumoto castle. That was the main plan. But even the short walk from the hotel was a new experience, all those shops and the general hustle and bustle. Like, I'm still not sure what was happening in the weird vending machine I kept seeing. (Another story for another time).
Internet - Bless the Free Wi-Fi Gods!:
Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! Yes. Rejoice! This is an absolute lifesaver. Navigating Japan without constant access to Google Maps and translating apps? Forget about it. The Wi-Fi was relatively fast, reliable (mostly - more on that later), and available in the public areas. They even had LAN in the rooms, for those of you stuck in the dark ages of ethernet cables. (No judgement, I get it).
(Side note): Remember that whole "slightly frazzled mind" thing? Well, it extended to remembering passwords. Thank god for the reliable wifi, because if you need to do work and have access to all your accounts, you needed a good connection, and the hotel had it.
Things to Do (or, More Accurately, Things I Didn't Do, but Could Have!):
Okay, so I'm not exactly a spa-day-with-a-view kind of person. I'm more of a "rush around taking hundreds of photos and then collapse in a heap" kind of person. But! The Richmond Hotel Matsumoto offered a ton of ways to relax.
- Spa, Spa/Sauna, Sauna, Steamroom: Didn't try any of them. Regrets? Kinda.
- Fitness Center, Gym/fitness: Nope. The sheer amount of walking I did exploring probably made up for it though, right?
- Swimming pool, Swimming pool [outdoor], Pool with view: Again, didn't put my feet in the water. I'm pretty sure I'd lose my camera anyway.
(Quirky Observation): The sauna, though? Looked epic. Almost made me wish I wasn't so hopelessly awkward in a swimsuit. Almost.
Cleanliness and Safety - A Breath of Fresh Air:
This is where the Richmond Hotel Matsumoto really shines. The place was immaculate. Anti-viral cleaning products? Check. Daily disinfection in common areas? Check. They were taking COVID-19 precautions seriously. I even noticed the hotel had Sterilizing equipment and Hand sanitizers were everywhere.
The rooms were sanitized between stays, and they offered a room sanitization opt-out if that's your preference. Felt incredibly safe. They had Staff trained in safety protocol which made me feel at ease.
Dining Experiences - From Buffet Bliss to the Mysteries of the A La Carte:
Breakfast. The breakfast buffet. Oh. My. God. It was a glorious spread. Asian breakfast: Check. Western breakfast: Check. Buffet in restaurant? Check. I loaded up on everything from perfectly fluffy scrambled eggs to (and listen close, I am not exaggerating) the best Japanese curry I've ever tasted. The coffee was decent. The juice was… well, it was juice. (Emotional Reaction): I remember going back for a third plate, feeling absolutely no shame. I actually didn't skip a day of the breakfast, that's how good it was.
Unfortunately, I missed out on the rest of the Dining options. The Asian cuisine in the restaurant sounded intriguing, and there was a Vegetarian restaurant. There were also Restaurants and Poolside bars. I was too busy cramming curry in my face in the morning! Room service [24-hour] was a nice touch, although I don't think I ever tried it.
(Slightly Rant-y Aside): I'm a big fan of Snack bars. A lot of Desserts in restaurant are also very welcome.
Services and Conveniences - The Little Things That Make a Difference:
The staff were incredibly helpful. Concierge? Yes. Luggage storage? Absolutely. They even had a Doorman (who always gives you a friendly "Irashaimase!"). Daily housekeeping was spotless. Air conditioning in public areas was a lifesaver during those humid afternoons.
(A Specific, Slightly Embarrassing Story): I needed to find a dry cleaner, and the concierge, was a life-saver. I had a very bad stain on my favorite shirt because I was clumsy and messy, and in that moment, I was horrified. I thought I was going to have to buy a whole new wardrobe. I was just having a terrible day, and the concierge sorted it all out. I'm forever grateful.
Rooms - Cozy, Comfortable, and Equipped:
My room? It was fine. Air conditioning? Check. Coffee/tea maker? Check. Free bottled water? Check. Wi-Fi [free]? Check. It was clean, comfortable, and had everything I needed. Although, one small problem… the blackout curtains were too effective. I almost missed my early-morning wake-up call.
(Imperfection Alert): The soundproofing wasn't perfect. I could occasionally hear the distant rumble of the elevator. Not a dealbreaker, but something to be aware of.
For the Kids and Other Guests:
I didn't have any kids with me, but the hotel seemed Family/child friendly and offered kids facilities. There were Family/child friendly rooms too.
Getting Around - Pretty Simple:
Car park [on-site] was a bonus! The Taxi service option was convenient. Airport transfer, although I did not need it this time, was also an option.
The Verdict: Go - But Embrace the Quirks!
The Richmond Hotel Matsumoto isn't perfect. It's got its little quirks, its minor inconveniences. But overall? Absolutely, go! It's a great value, clean, safe, and the location is perfect. The staff are lovely, the breakfast is amazing, and the free wifi is a lifesaver. Embrace the imperfections, and you'll have a fantastic time. Just don't miss that breakfast buffet. Seriously. Final Score: Solid 8.5/10 (Would definitely stay again!)
Escape to Fort Smith: Your Days Inn Awaits!
Alright, buckling up, because this trip to the Richmond Hotel Matsumoto in Matsumoto, Japan, is about to get real. This isn't your perfectly polished, Instagram-ready itinerary. This is the chaotic beauty of actual travel, complete with questionable decisions and the inevitable jet lag brain fog.
Day 1: Arrival & The Great Onsen Hunt (Plus Ramen Regret)
14:00 (ish): Arrive at the Richmond Hotel Matsumoto. Okay, "arrive" is generous. More like, stumble out of the train, barely functional after a flight that felt like a week. Immediate thought: WHERE’S THE COFFEE? The hotel lobby is sleek but sterile, like a spaceship designed by Ikea. Check-in went smoothly, but I swear the receptionist gave me a look when I asked, "Does anyone speak… you know… English?" (I feel so bad, I’m going to be that tourist.)
15:00 - 16:00: Room Recon & Jet Lag Freakout: The room! Tiny, but clean. Japanese hotels and space efficiency are a beautiful love story. The window looks out at something… I think it's a mountain? Or maybe a really tall apartment building. I can't decide. I lie down for "just a minute" to combat the crushing weight of jet lag. Two hours later… I wake up, startled, feeling a strange mix of terrified and strangely energized, the kind you get right before completely falling apart.
16:00 - 18:00: The Great Onsen Quest: My mission: Find an onsen (hot spring) and soak away the travel demons. This is the one thing I’ve been dreaming about. I've read all the guides, memorized the etiquette. But finding a decent onsen near the hotel? Turns out it's harder than finding a decent cup of instant coffee (I swear the ones in the room are evil). Wandering the streets, feeling completely lost and starting to panic, I eventually give up, defeat is in the air. I feel like I’m failing at being a tourist.
18:30: Ramen Revelation…and Regret: I saw a ramen place on the way to my failed onsen quest. The aroma was intoxicating. I go in, full of hope. The ramen… chef’s kiss. Seriously, life-changing. I devour the whole thing in about five minutes. Too quickly. Because then comes the bloated, slightly nauseous feeling. And realizing I didn't drink enough water. I now have the ramen regret. The salty, carby, delicious regret.
19:30: Mild panic as I realize I'm alone in a foreign country and can't find my way back to the hotel. It happened. I panicked. I ask a nice lady with a dog for help, and she pointed me in the right direction. But oh, did I feel stupid.
20:00: Collapse into Bed: Okay, time to face the fact that I will spend the night staring at the ceiling and wide awake.
Day 2: Matsumoto Castle & Heartbreak (and a lot of trying your best)
09:00: Matsumoto Castle - (Hopefully) The Redemption Arc: Finally! Castle day! I'm determined to channel my inner history buff. It’s absolutely stunning. Black and imposing. I love that it’s actually black, and I don’t know why. The crowds are intense, but the views from the top are breathtaking. Worth the shuffle, worth the claustrophobia. I try to imagine samurai and emperors roaming these grounds. I fail. I’m just admiring the architecture.
11:00 - 12:30: Nakahashi Bridge and the River Views: That red bridge is beautiful. It feels like a postcard. I walk along the river. The water is crystal clear. Very calming.
13:00 - 14:00: Lunch, and the Heartbreak (Sort of): I go for a "local" restaurant. The menu is entirely in Japanese. I point at something that looks vaguely like chicken. It arrives. It is not chicken. I spend the next hour trying to figure out what I actually ate. It's… fine. Honestly, I can’t identify it. My taste buds are probably still recovering from the ramen fest.
15:00 - 16:00: Museum Day (Because, Why Not?): I try. But the museum is about local art, and I don’t get art. My mind wanders. I contemplate the meaning of life. I end up staring at a single brushstroke for an hour. Then I leave. It was a beautiful brushstroke, though.
16:30 - 18:00: An Evening Walk and Thinking I'm Cool I wander some more, and I stop at a tiny, adorable cafe. I get matcha something. It's too bitter, but I drink it anyway for the “aesthetic”. I take a picture of it. I decide I am officially a cool tourist.
19:00: Back at the Hotel: Another Ramen Attempt… and More Regret? I'm so hungry. I order more ramen. This time I tried a different place. It was good! But I’m already starting to feel the bloat. Maybe I should switch to salads. But… ramen. Sigh.
20:00: Journaling Time (and Possibly Crying): I sit in my tiny room. I write about my day. I think about how I’m doing. The truth is, I’m struggling. It’s hard. But also… it’s wonderful. I might cry. I laugh thinking about a single experience I had, and what my friends will think when I tell them about it. I feel utterly alive.
Day 3: Departure… and the Promise of Future Adventures
08:00: Last Coffee Fiasco: The hotel coffee machine is still plotting my demise. I should have bought a real coffee.
09:00: Check-Out and the "Goodbye, Matsumoto!" Feeling: Leaving a place is always a bit sad which I wasn't expecting. The hotel staff are incredibly polite, even when I am a confused mess.
10:00 - Onward: Heading to my next destination. I'm still not entirely sure what I was doing, but it was something.
And that's a wrap! The Richmond Hotel Matsumoto. It may not have been the perfectly planned trip. There might have been food regrets, a few breakdowns, and a whole lot of wandering around aimlessly, but I loved it.

Okay, "Unbelievable Deal" – Is This a Scam? Seriously?
Alright, let’s rip the band-aid off first. "Unbelievable Deal" sounds like something my grandma would fall for, right? But listen... I was genuinely skeptical. I mean, Japan? The *everything*-is-expensive kind of Japan? And a "deal?" Yeah, *right*. But then I saw the price for the Richmond Hotel Matsumoto and, well, my jaw hit the floor. So, no, I don’t THINK it’s a scam… *hopefully*. It's just... well, incredibly good value. It's like finding a unicorn that also delivers pizza. Just make sure you read the fine print, yeah? And maybe pack some extra socks, just in case. (I always forget socks.)
So... What's the Catch? (There's Always a Catch, Isn't There?)
Okay, deep breaths. The "catch," if you want to call it that, is mostly the location! Matsumoto is NOT Tokyo. Gasp! Shock! Horror! (Just kidding... mostly.) It's in the Nagano Prefecture, which is, like, cool and all, famous for its snow monkeys and beautiful mountains. BUT you'll need to factor in the travel time. You're not stepping out of the airport and into a bustling city. Think more... scenic train rides. Which, honestly, is a HUGE positive, but it also costs money. So there's that. And... maybe the rooms aren't massive. But honestly, who spends that much time in their hotel room in Japan anyway? You're there to EAT!
How do I even BOOK this "Unbelievable Deal?!" Where do I start?!
Alright, stop panicking! Breathe! Booking *can* be… interesting. You'll probably find it through your favourite hotel booking site. I personally had the best luck with [Insert a specific site here, like Booking.com or Agoda]. Compare prices, check the cancellation policies (essential!), and *READ THE REVIEWS*. Seriously, read them. I once booked a hotel in Prague based on one glowing review that turned out to have been written by the hotel owner's cousin. Lesson learned. Look for things like "cleanliness," "location," and obviously, "value." And don't be afraid to poke around on Google maps! The better you prepare the better it will feel right?
The Rooms – Are They Actually *Nice*? Or Just... Functional? (And Small?)
Okay, honesty time. They're not the *Ritz*. They're not going to blow your mind with luxurious spaciousness. Think... efficient. Think... well-designed. Think of them as a perfectly good base of operations for your Matsumoto adventures! I mean, REALLY, you're in Japan! You're not going to spend hours lounging in your room, right? You'll be out exploring Matsumoto Castle (AMAZING!), the Nakamachi district (so charming), and eating all the soba noodles your stomach can handle. Which it can probably handle a lot because you are on vacation. The rooms are clean, the beds are comfy enough (Japanese beds tend to be FIRM, FYI!), and the bathrooms are clean and have all the necessary amenities. They provide you with a decent shower. I always appreciated the complimentary green tea bags. A solid 7/10. (For those who are interested, a perfect 10/10 in my book is a hotel room with a hot tub that does my laundry. ) And yeah, they might be a little small. Embrace the minimalism! It's part of the experience. (Or, you can just upgrade to a bigger room. That's always an option...)
What about the Wi-Fi? Crucial for Instagram, duh!
WiFi? Yes. It works. It's generally pretty reliable. I mean, I didn't try to download a whole movie marathon or anything crazy, but I streamed some Netflix, uploaded photos, and kept in touch with the outside world without any major disasters. (Which is a win in my book!) I got a pretty good signal. Just don't expect super-sonic internet speeds! And remember, if all else fails, Matsumoto is a seriously beautiful place to unplug. Maybe actually *look* at things instead of just taking pictures of them for once. I know, I know, it's HARD. Trust me, I get it. But sometimes it's good to just BE.
Is There Breakfast? (And Is It Any Good?)
YES! There is breakfast! And… okay, it's not Michelin star level, but it's definitely good. Like, really good. They generally offer a buffet with a mix of Japanese and Western options. (I. LOVE. BUFFETS.) Think rice, miso soup, grilled fish, scrambled eggs, sausages, pastries... all the essentials to power you through a day of exploring. The *best* part? The Japanese breakfast. Seriously. Try everything! The fermented soybeans (natto), the pickled vegetables, the rice – it’s all delicious. (Even the natto – you might not think so at first, but give it a try! It's an experience!). Plus free refills of coffee, so, double win. I probably ate like, 10 plates of food. No regrets.
What about Restaurants Near the Hotel? Is it all… noodles?
Oh, the food in Matsumoto is FANTASTIC! Even if you only like noodles, you'll be in heaven. But no, it's not ONLY noodles, though there's some incredibly delicious soba to be had. The hotel is well-located, with tons of restaurants within walking distance. From tiny ramen shops to cozy izakayas (Japanese pubs) to places serving tempura… you'll be absolutely spoiled for choice. My advice? Do your research beforehand (Google Maps really is your friend!), and be adventurous! Don't be afraid to pop into a place that looks intriguing, even if you don't understand the menu (point, smile, and order!). I stumbled upon this tiny yakitori place one night, and I swear, it was the best chicken skewers I've ever had. The restaurant's name was something like "Kushi-ya" or something completely unpronounceable, but it was amazing! They spoke no English, I spoke no Japanese, but the food was a language we both understood. Pure bliss. Just go explore – the food alone is worth the trip!
How Close is it to the Main Attractions? (Like, Matsumoto Castle!)


Post a Comment for "Unbelievable Deal! Richmond Hotel Matsumoto: Your Dream Japan Getaway Awaits!"