
Quincy's BEST Downtown Hotel? Microtel Inn & Suites Review!
Microtel Inn & Suites, Quincy: My Messy, Honest (and Surprisingly Positive) Review
Alright, buckle up buttercups, because you're about to get the real deal on the Microtel Inn & Suites in Quincy, IL. Forget those polished, corporate-speak reviews. You want honesty? You got it. I'm gonna tell you the good, the bad, the slightly terrifying, and everything in between. Spoiler alert: it was surprisingly decent.
Accessibility: A Solid Start (Usually)
First things first: I'm not in a wheelchair, but I'm always hyper-aware of accessibility. Microtel generally nails it. The access ramps and elevators seemed well-maintained, and they mention facilities for disabled guests. HUGE plus. (I didn't personally test everything out, but the bones are there.) Though, like anywhere, check directly with the hotel if you have specific needs, because sometimes… things aren't quite as accessible as they claim. You know how it goes.
The Room: Cozy…ish (and the Wi-Fi is LEGIT!)
Okay, let's get into the room itself. I'm obsessed with having Wi-Fi, and gasp it’s FREE! In all the rooms! (And the lobby, and probably the parking lot if you stretch hard enough…) This is a win in my book. They also offer Internet [LAN] – which is still a thing, apparently? – for you old-school types.
My room was… functional. It wasn't the Ritz, but it was clean, with crisp linens, and the blackout curtains saved my life (seriously, I need darkness to function). Though, I noticed a faint smell of… something. Maybe cleaning products? Maybe someone’s attempt at air freshener? Either way, it was subtle and faded quickly. (Also, I'm a sucker for a comfortable bed and it was perfectly fine.)
Here's where things get… interesting.
There were those complimentary toiletries of the stuff you didn't want to use, the classic shampoo and soap in the shower. The closet was a pretty basic affair, but at least there was a closet!
Cleanliness and Safety: So, Did I Catch Anything?
Alright, the pandemic era. HUGE topic. I'm neurotic about cleanliness, so this was a major concern. They claim to use Anti-viral cleaning products, and there's a lot of talk about “Daily disinfection”. And hey, they offer room sanitization opt-out! That’s something. Plenty of hand sanitizer dispensers throughout the hotel.
They also offer Individually-wrapped food options, and Sanitized kitchen and tableware items. And there was a physical distance of at least 1 meter throughout the building – which is actually more space than I’m used to! Daily disinfection in common areas.
But here’s the thing I’m not that into.
There's a real push for things like Cashless payment service, and Safe dining setup. And a removal of Shared stationery. (Who uses shared stationery anymore?!) Staff trained in safety protocol… blah, blah, blah. Look, I appreciate the effort, but the constant barrage of "safety" announcements started to feel a little… suffocating.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: Breakfast – Bless Its Heart
Alright, the big one: Breakfast. They offer Breakfast [buffet], Breakfast service, Western breakfast – all the clichĆ©s. Honestly, it was pretty standard hotel breakfast fare. Nothing to write home about, but hey, at least they have coffee and coffee shop. But hey, you can always grab a complimentary bottle of water. I think I've had worse. The upside? It's free!!
I didn’t see anything that resembled a real restaurant, a bar, or a pool-side bar or a Coffee/tea in restaurant, Poolside bar.
The Amenities – The Good, the Meh, and the "Wait, What?"
Okay, here's where it gets a mixed bag. I'm not too keen on the hotel's Fitness center, but here is where things got pretty interesting…
The website boasted a Gym/fitness, and Sauna! Steamroom! Swimming pool [outdoor] and Swimming pool! Sounds great, right? Wrong. I saw… a rather sad-looking swimming pool. Not the pool with a view. (Unless, I suppose, you consider the parking lot a "view.") I didn't bother with the Sauna or Steamroom. They'd probably need their own review. But, heck, I’d be down for a Body scrub or Body wrap or maybe even a Foot bath… But it’s not on the menu, so it's not on the menu!
So, I did not check out the spa, or the massage – but the sauna… Well, you can see how it went.
They offer, though, quite interesting services and conveniences! But I'll skip it.
For the Kids (and Everyone Else): They Try!
Microtel Inn & Suites is Family/child friendly, which means they also offer Babysitting service, and Kids facilities, and even provide, Kids meal! So, yeah, good on them!
Getting Around and Other Crucial Details
They've got a Car park [free of charge]! Which is freaking fantastic! And, also, the location of the hotel is super ideal.
Airport transfer is a solid option, of course, and Taxi service. But, like, in Quincy, Illinois, it’s important to have your own car.
The Final Verdict: Worth the Stay?
Honestly? Yeah, probably. Microtel Inn & Suites in Quincy is a decent, reliable option. It’s not going to blow your mind, but it’s clean, functional, and has (at the time of my visit) a surprisingly robust Wi-Fi connection. If you’re looking for a no-frills place to crash while you explore Quincy, or just need a comfy place to work or rest… well, this might be the place for you.
Orlando's BEST Budget Hotel? (Americas Best Value Inn SHOCKING Deal!)
Okay, buckle up Buttercup, because getting a handle on a trip to Quincy, Illinois, staying at the Microtel? Well, it's less "polished travel itinerary" and more "reality show on a budget." Here's my attempt to wrangle this into some kind of loosely-organized chaos:
Microtel Inn & Suites Quincy Downtown/River Area - The Unvarnished Truth (and a whole lot of waffle)
Day 1: Arrival & The Great Check-In Debacle (Or, My Soul's Appreciation for Plastic Keys)
- Time: 3:00 PM - Officially, but let's be real, probably more like 3:45 PM. Traffic, ya know? Even in Quincy, I’m imagining a slow crawl.
- Arrival: Pull up to the Microtel. My mental state at this point? Cautious optimism. I’ve read reviews, and let's just say the word "spotless" wasn't used frequently. The exterior? Okay. Looks like any other budget-friendly motel. The smell though… That's the real question. This is always the defining moment, right? That first inhale. Fingers crossed for "clean laundry"… please, not "damp carpet."
- The Check-In Gauntlet: Attempt to check in. Smile brightly. Hopefully, the desk clerk has had their coffee. Pray for a room that isn't directly beside the vending machine or the ice machine. Bonus points if they give me a first-floor room – stairs are the enemy, people!
- Room Reconnaissance: Oh, the room. The moment of truth. Take a deep breath… check for bedbugs (always a must, even in decent places!), then… assess. Is the TV working? Does the Wi-Fi actually exist? Bathroom? Clean? (This is a big one for me. I’m a bathroom snob, let’s be honest). My emotional response ranges from "Well, it's a room," to "Seriously? Is this a time warp to the 1980s?!" (depending on the dĆ©cor).
- Unpacking & Setting the Scene: Okay, the bed… is it comfy? That’s crucial. Unpack, throw my bag haphazardly on the luggage rack (because real travelers don’t fold, okay?). Then, the ritual: Locate power outlets, plug in everything, and prepare for maximum phone charging. This is survival, people. Also, maybe grab a snack from the road – I'm always hungry!
Day 1 Evening: River Ramblings (and a burger-related existential crisis)
- Time: 6:00 PM -ish (flexible, because I'm on vacation, dammit!)
- Quincy Riverfront: Get my bearings. Head down to the Mississippi River. What's the vibe? Is it charming? Does it scream "small-town America" or is it just… a river? (I'm secretly hoping for the former. Anything to escape the hotel room for a while).
- Dinner: A Burger Quest: Find a local burger joint. This is crucial. This is my mission. I want a proper, juicy burger. Maybe some onion rings. Maybe… fries. The perfect burger is a fleeting, beautiful dream. The search is the journey, etc. (Restaurant name: Placeholder – Research needed). This is potentially the highlight of the trip, so I'm putting extra thought into it.
- The Burger Experience (It’s Deeper Than It Seems): The first bite… is it euphoric? Or is it just… a burger? The fries – are they crispy or sad? The bun – is it perfectly toasted, or a soggy, sad disappointment? (I'm currently emotionally invested in the bun).
- Post-Burger Meltdown (Or, The Sweet Release of Stupidity): Stroll along the river afterwards. Contemplate the meaning of life while digesting. Or maybe just stare at the water and enjoy the relative peace. The existential dread of consuming an entire burger knows no bounds and soothes me.
Day 2: History, Hangovers, and Hair of the Dog (Not Necessarily in That Order)
- Time: 9:00 AM (ish… might be a 10:00 AM start depending on how late I stayed up.)
- Breakfast: The Microtel Experience: The complimentary breakfast is a gamble. Pray it includes coffee that is drinkable. Also, there's a good chance I'll be hungover. Breakfast is a survival ritual after that burger.
- Historical Quincy: A Gentle Stroll (or, The Pursuit of Good Coffee): Visit historic Quincy, if I'm up for it. Research historic sites. Explore some of the attractions in the area. I'm not a huge history buff, but I aim to broaden my horizons.
- Coffee Break (Desperate Measures): Find coffee. Good coffee. Independent coffee shop? My soul craves it. (Recommendations welcome!)
- Afternoon: Do something. Whatever feels right. Maybe visit a museum, or just wander around.
- Evening: Dinner – somewhere different! Maybe try a local restaurant. (Research is key!) Or, you know, maybe just order pizza and watch TV in my room.
Day 3: Departure & The Bitter-Sweet Farewell to… Well, Quincy.
- Time: 10:00 AM – Check Out. (Or, the mad dash to get my stuff together.)
- Breakfast (Do-Over?): Last chance at the Microtel breakfast abomination.
- Last-Minute Panic: Make sure I haven't forgotten anything. Check for chargers. Triple-check the bathroom.
- The Check-Out Debrief: How was it? Did I enjoy the trip? Would I come back to Quincy? The honesty level is crucial (and probably relies upon caffeine level.)
- Departure: Hit the road. Reflect on the experience. Start planning the next adventure. And start craving that burger all over again.
Quirky Observations, Imperfections & Ramblings Throughout:
- The Hotel Room Temperature: Always a struggle. Either freezing or sweltering. I'll probably spend the entire trip adjusting the thermostat.
- The Wi-Fi: Cross your fingers. Pray for a stable connection. The world depends on it.
- The People: Chat with the locals. Ask for recommendations. This is where the real gems are found.
- The Unexpected: Embrace it. The best stories are rarely planned.
- The Weather: It is what it is. Pack accordingly. (And try not to complain… too much).
- Honest Reactions: I’ll probably complain about something. I'm human. And sometimes, a good rant is the best therapy.
- Imperfect Planning: Things will go wrong. I’ll get lost. I’ll forget things. That’s life. (And it makes for better stories.)
- The Overall Mood: A mix of excitement, anticipation, and a healthy dose of anxiety. But hey, at least I'm trying something new!
- The Final Word: This itinerary is a rough sketch. Anything can happen. And it probably will. That's the beauty of travel, isn't it?
So, there you have it. A messy, honest, and very human glimpse into my trip to Quincy, Illinois. Hopefully, it’s at least vaguely useful… or, at the very least, entertaining. Wish me luck! (And send coffee!)
Escape to Appleton: Howard Johnson's Unexpected Charm!
Microtel Inn & Suites, Quincy: The Unvarnished Truth (FAQ Style... Ish)
Is this *really* Quincy's BEST Downtown Hotel? Big claim, Microtel, big claim!
The Rooms: What's the Vibe? Are we talking prison chic, or something more... livable?
Let's Talk Breakfast. Is it the usual underwhelming continental buffet or something… better? (Prayers for better.)
Location, Location, Location! What's *actually* close to the hotel? Anything fun?
Internet/Wi-Fi: Good? Bad? Did you throw your laptop out the window in frustration? (Honesty appreciated.)
The Staff: Friendly? Helpful? Did they secretly hate you?
Cleanliness: Did you find anything… questionable? (Spit out my coffee reading this one…)
Parking: Easy? Nightmare? Did you have to fight a badger for a spot? (Just kidding… mostly.)


Post a Comment for "Quincy's BEST Downtown Hotel? Microtel Inn & Suites Review!"