
Unbelievable Taiping Escape: Casavilla Travellers Lodge Awaits!
Escape to Taiping & Maybe, Just Maybe, Find Yourself at Casavilla Travellers Lodge! (A Messy, Honest Review)
Okay, so you're thinking about Taiping, Malaysia? Smart choice. It's green, it's historically interesting, and frankly, it's a welcome break from the usual tourist traps. And you're looking at Casavilla Travellers Lodge? Right. Well, buckle up, because this isn't your glossy, perfectly filtered travel blog post. This is real life after a few days of wandering.
First, let's get the practical stuff out of the way. You know, the "boring" bits before we get to the good stuff.
Accessibility? Hmm, that's one area where the Lodge could really up its game. (Accessibility, Wheelchair accessible, Facilities for disabled guests) The website touts accessibility…and technically, there's an elevator. But, it’s like, the old kind. Think cramped, a little slow, and maybe not the friendliest if you're relying on a wheelchair. Better to call ahead and double, triple check. I believe some rooms are more accessible than others, but this is not my forte. So, research well before you book.
Internet? Praise be, (Internet access, Free Wi-Fi in all rooms!, Internet, Internet [LAN], Internet services, Wi-Fi in public areas, Wi-Fi for special events) because I needed it. Free Wi-Fi throughout the lodge, and in my room, it usually worked. Good enough for streaming and (ahem) keeping up with work emails. The LAN option? Didn't try it, who uses that anymore? Seriously it is 2024, but options are good.
Cleanliness & Safety? Okay, I was impressed with this. (Cleanliness and safety, Anti-viral cleaning products, Daily disinfection in common areas, Hand sanitizer, Hygiene certification, Individually-wrapped food options, Physical distancing of at least 1 meter, Professional-grade sanitizing services, Room sanitization opt-out available, Rooms sanitized between stays, Sanitized kitchen and tableware items, Staff trained in safety protocol, Sterilizing equipment) Pre-pandemic, I wouldn't care so much, but now… it’s a big deal. The place smells clean. And, for a place in Malaysia, that's saying something. Hand sanitizer dispensers everywhere, people wearing masks, and actual evidence of disinfecting. Actually made me feel safer than some of the "luxury" hotels I've stayed at recently. They even offered a "room sanitization opt-out" - which I almost took advantage of, just to rebel. Almost.
Rooms? (Available in all rooms, Additional toilet, Air conditioning, Alarm clock, Bathrobes, Bathroom phone, Bathtub, Blackout curtains, Carpeting, Closet, Coffee/tea maker, Complimentary tea, Daily housekeeping, Desk, Extra long bed, Free bottled water, Hair dryer, High floor, In-room safe box, Interconnecting room(s) available, Internet access – LAN, Internet access – wireless, Ironing facilities, Laptop workspace, Linens, Mini bar, Mirror, Non-smoking, On-demand movies, Private bathroom, Reading light, Refrigerator, Safety/security feature, Satellite/cable channels, Scale, Seating area, Separate shower/bathtub, Shower, Slippers, Smoke detector, Socket near the bed, Sofa, Soundproofing, Telephone, Toiletries, Towels, Umbrella, Visual alarm, Wake-up service, Wi-Fi [free], Window that opens)
Okay, let's be real: this isn't the Four Seasons. But my room was clean, the air conditioning worked (major win in the Taiping humidity), and the bed was comfy enough. You know, slept like a baby after a day of exploring. The blackout curtains? Genius. Saved my soul (and my sleep schedule). The bathroom? Basic, but functional. The toiletries were… well, they were there. Don't expect anything fancy. But the complimentary tea? A lifesaver. Especially after a long day wandering around the Lake Gardens. And hey, a mini-fridge! Perfect for stashing those delicious, cheap Malaysian snacks you'll inevitably find yourself hoarding. The soundproofing, though… still heard the early morning call to prayer, however, it was more charming than annoying. Also, the umbrella? Saved my hide during a torrential downpour. Thank you, Casavilla, for thinking of the little things.
Dining, Drinking, & Snacking? (A la carte in restaurant, Alternative meal arrangement, Asian breakfast, Asian cuisine in restaurant, Bar, Bottle of water, Breakfast [buffet], Breakfast service, Buffet in restaurant, Coffee/tea in restaurant, Coffee shop, Desserts in restaurant, Happy hour, International cuisine in restaurant, Poolside bar, Restaurants, Room service [24-hour], Salad in restaurant, Snack bar, Soup in restaurant, Vegetarian restaurant, Western breakfast, Western cuisine in restaurant)
Right, the food. This is where things get interesting. They do have a restaurant. And a coffee shop. And room service (24 hours! Score!). Breakfast? (Breakfast [buffet], Breakfast service, Buffet in restaurant) They had the usual spread: toast, eggs, some questionable-looking sausages, and a whole lot of nasi lemak. The nasi lemak, though? Surprisingly good. Gave me the energy I needed to survive the day. Lunch and dinner at the restaurant were a mixed bag. One day, I had a fantastic chicken satay. The next? Let's just say I saw a lot of onions. But hey, it was all part of the adventure, right? Coffee? Decent. Bar? Didn't try it. Too busy exploring.
Things to Do & Ways to Relax? (Things to do, ways to relax, Body scrub, Body wrap, Fitness center, Foot bath, Gym/fitness, Massage, Pool with view, Sauna, Spa, Spa/sauna, Steamroom, Swimming pool, Swimming pool [outdoor]).
Okay, this is where Casavilla really shines in my opinion. (Swimming pool [outdoor]) The outdoor swimming pool. It's not Olympic-sized, but it's decent, clean, and frankly, perfect for cooling off after a day of walking around in the sweltering heat. It looks great, and it feels fantastic. Oh, that pool. That pool, with it's shimmering water and the way it reflected the sky. I'm not a “pool person” usually. More of a "hot air balloon and mountains" kind of girl. But, after hours wandering around the Taiping Lake Gardens (which, by the way, you absolutely must go to, seriously, it's stunning!), I just sunk into it – the cool water closing in on my tired muscles. The sun hitting my face, the gentle breeze whispering through the trees. I don't usually relax much. But there, in that pool, I found myself actually relaxing. I didn't want to do anything but… well, just be. I swear, the entire trip changed from there. Seriously. That pool.
The spa, though? (Spa/sauna, Sauna, Steamroom, Massage) I was skeptical, truthfully. Hotel spas are often overpriced and underwhelming. However, my massage was heaven. Seriously, I think I fell asleep. And the sauna/steam room? Well, didn't try those. More of a pool person, remember?
Services and Conveniences? (Air conditioning in public area, Audio-visual equipment for special events, Business facilities, Cash withdrawal, Concierge, Contactless check-in/out, Convenience store, Currency exchange, Daily housekeeping, Doorman, Dry cleaning, Elevator, Essential condiments, Facilities for disabled guests, Food delivery, Gift/souvenir shop, Indoor venue for special events, Invoice provided, Ironing service, Laundry service, Luggage storage, Meeting/banquet facilities, Meetings, Meeting stationery, On-site event hosting, Outdoor venue for special events, Projector/LED display, Safety deposit boxes, Seminars, Shrine, Smoking area, Terrace, Wi-Fi for special events, Xerox/fax in business center)
They offer pretty much everything you'd expect. The daily housekeeping was excellent. The staff were friendly and helpful. Concierge was good at advising on places to go. A convenience store? Yes, right next to the hotel. The elevator, like I said, a bit rickety. Luggage storage? Always a plus. Honestly, no complaints here. Just the usual hotel stuff, done well.
For the Kids? (Babysitting service, Family/child friendly, Kids facilities, Kids meal)
Uh… don't know. Didn't have any. But the place seemed kid-friendly. Saw a few families. They had some kids' menus, a few high chairs, etc. So, looks like it's good.
Getting Around? (Airport transfer, Bicycle parking, Car park [free of charge], Car park [on-site], Car power charging station, Taxi service, Valet parking)
They have free parking. Big win. Didn't need the airport transfer, but nice that it's available. Didn't see any car charging, though.
The Quirks? (My Messy Observations)
Okay, the weird stuff. The things that
Brandon, MB's BEST Hotel Deal: Super 8's Unbeatable Offer!
Alright, buckle up, buttercups. You're about to get dragged through my brain's trip to Casavilla Travellers Lodge in Taiping, Malaysia. This ain't your glossy brochure itinerary. This is the gritty, honest, and probably slightly messy truth. Prepare for tangents, opinions, and the occasional existential crisis fueled by questionable street food.
Day 1: Arrival, Anticipation, and Accidental Durian (Oh. My. God.)
14:00 - 15:00: Arrival in Taiping. The train ride was fine. Perfectly okay. Except for the guy who kept staring at me. I'm pretty sure he thought I was going to spontaneously combust. I avoided eye contact like the plague and started to feel like a celebrity.
15:00 - 16:00: Check-in at Casavilla. The website photos… slightly misleading. It’s charmingly… rustic. Okay, very rustic. But the lady at reception was a total sweetheart, and the courtyard is genuinely pretty. I was also offered a drink which was a nice gesture, so far, so good.
16:00 - 18:00: Exploring Taiping. I needed to stretch my legs and find the nearest kopi shop. Found one, the coffee was strong, but the people watching was even better! Saw a little boy try to take a bite out of a pigeon's wing, and an old woman trying to negotiate the price of something that looked suspiciously like a small, live chicken. Welcome to the real Malaysia.
18:00 - 19:00: Dinner at a local hawker stall. Okay, here's where things went… sideways. I’d heard the street food was amazing, so I dove in. Ordered something that looked (and smelled) divine. Turns out, "divine" translated to "smells like a gym sock that's been fermenting in a swamp." It was Durian. The dreaded durian. I took a bite. My face contorted into a grimace that mirrored the Grand Canyon. I tried to be brave, but ended up choking and spluttering which resulted in an embarrassing cough, I spat out the remnants and practically ran back to the lodge, vowing to never eat again.
19:00 - 21:00: Regroup and recover. Spent two hours in my room battling the lingering durian stench. Spritzed myself (and everything around me) with air freshener. Contemplating the meaning of life… and if I had made a terrible mistake by leaving home. Ordered a pizza.
Day 2: Lake Gardens, Monkeys, and More Street Food Shenanigans
09:00 - 10:00: Breakfast (The pizza arrived). Decently passable. But it failed to cleanse the palate from yesterday’s events. I made myself a promise to avoid all "unfamiliar" fruits for the rest of the trip.
10:00 - 13:00: Lake Gardens. Okay now it's getting good. The gardens are beautiful. Absolutely stunning. The air is thick and humid, and the trees are enormous. It’s like a tropical wonderland. Saw a family of monkeys. They were adorable at first, then I saw one steal a woman's sandwich and a whole packet of chips. It wasn't for eating though; it was playtime for the little monkeys.
13:00 - 14:00: Lunch. Decided to be slightly more adventurous. Found a place serving nasi lemak. This time, I checked every single ingredient. I didn't get poisoned, which was a win.
14:00 - 16:00: Relaxation and a lot of reading. I sat by the pool (which was surprisingly clean) and flipped through a book. Suddenly, a swarm of kids started throwing themselves into the pool, with no adult supervision. It was like watching a synchronized swimming competition.
16:00 - 18:00: More street food. Okay, I know, I know. I told myself I was done. But the lure of the unknown is just too strong. This time, I went for something that appeared to be fried noodles. It tasted amazing. Just as I was taking my last bite, I saw a cockroach scuttle across the table. My stomach flipped. It all came rushing back.
18:00 - 21:00: Spent the evening barricaded in my room, convinced every insect in Taiping was out to get me. Willed myself to sleep.
Day 3: Waterfall Wanderings and the Truth About My Taste Buds
08:00 - 09:00: Woke up early! The cockroach incident left me unable to sleep. Decided a breakfast of strong coffee and toast was just what I needed.
09:00 - 12:00: Maxwell Hill. The waterfalls are incredible. I saw wild flowers and butterflies. The view from the top was breath-taking. Then, I looked into a pool and saw a family of spiders swimming around. I decided to move on.
12:00 - 13:00: Lunch. I found a small restaurant near the waterfall. The food was simple, but completely delicious. I think, I've finally found something to eat.
13:00 - 15:00: This time I was determined to enjoy the town, so I walked around and spoke to the locals. I ended up getting some recommendations.
15:00 - 18:00: Back in Casavilla, I sat and planned my plan for the final day. I’m honestly sad that I am soon to leave.
18:00 - 21:00: Dinner and a walk. I’m sad to leave, but it’s not supposed to be a perfect world and these experiences do make it memorable.
Day 4: Farewell Taiping (and Maybe a Bit of Regret)
08:00 - 09:00: Final breakfast. The coffee machine was still working. I took a deep breath, reminded myself that I survived durian, and decided I'd be okay.
09:00 - 10:00: Last-minute souvenir shopping. Found a shop selling t-shirts with monkeys on them. I may have bought one. (Don’t judge me).
10:00 - 11:00: Check-out. Said goodbye to the lovely lady at reception. She gave me a hug. It was a sweet end, and I was ready to leave.
11:00: Depart Taiping. The train ride was okay. I ate a whole family pack of biscuits. I'll probably miss the place. The good, the bad, the slightly-smelly… it all makes for a great story, right? And hey, I didn't spontaneously combust. So that's always a win.

So, Casavilla... is it *actually* unbelievable? The hype is killing me!
Okay, okay, breathe. "Unbelievable Taiping Escape" is the tagline, right? Honestly? It's... complicated. Look, Taiping itself? Absolutely gorgeous. Lakes Gardens? Mind-blowing. Casavilla itself? Well... It's a vibe. Think slightly faded colonial charm, with a hearty dose of "DIY with love." It's not the Ritz, okay? You won't have a butler fluffing your pillows. But, and this is a big BUT, it has a soul. A quirky, slightly dusty, definitely-has-stories-to-tell soul. And that's where the "unbelievable" comes in. It's less about luxury, and more about the *experience*.
What are the rooms actually like? (Be honest!)
Right, let's get REAL. I stayed in the... oh, I think it was the Magnolia room? Or maybe the one with the balcony. (See? Already fuzzy on the details! My memory's shot). Okay, the basics: expect a vintage feel. Think mismatched furniture, painted walls (probably in a color that's been around for ages), and (brace yourselves) potentially a slightly creaky floorboard or two. My room had a glorious balcony, PERFECT for morning coffee and contemplating the universe (or, you know, watching the rain). However, the bathroom? Let's just say it wasn't *sparkling* new. FUNCTIONAL, yes. Sparkling? Nah. But the water was hot, the towels were clean, and honestly? After a day of exploring, I was too exhausted to care. And that balcony... worth every tiny imperfection.
Breakfast. Is the breakfast a lie?
Breakfast... Ah, the breakfast. Okay, it's not a buffet, okay? DON'T go expecting mountains of bacon and fluffy pancakes. (Though, wouldn't that be nice?). It's more along the lines of "home-cooked goodness." Think toast, maybe some eggs, and the occasional surprise local dish (which in my case, was some seriously spicy noodles... a *pleasant* jolt to the system at 8 AM, let me tell you!). The coffee? Strong. The conversation with the other guests? Even stronger. Look, the breakfast is a great way to start the day, chat with other travelers, and fuel up for exploring. It’s about the experience, not the Michelin star rating.
What's the best thing about staying there? (The *real* best thing, not the brochure stuff.)
Okay, the *real* best thing? The feeling of being *somewhere*. Somewhere that feels a little bit lost in time, somewhere that cares about the little details that make a place feel home. My absolute favorite thing, and I'M STILL thinking about it - was the porch swing. There was this old, creaky porch swing. I could sit there for hours, just watching the world go by, hearing the birds, feeling the breeze... And that, my friends, is pure, unadulterated bliss. Seriously, that porch swing needs its own TripAdvisor review. The staff, too, are friendly and helpful. They aren’t perfect, but they're real. They seem to genuinely care that you are having a good time (and sometimes, that caring includes pointing you in the direction of the best local laksa... which, by the way, is AMAZING.)
Is it suitable for kids?
Hmm. That’s a tricky one. Casavilla has a lot of stairs, so if mobility is an issue, probably not the best choice. The rooms are cozy, but not "kid-proof." It definitely caters more to adults who appreciate peace and quiet. The vibe is more “relaxing afternoon tea” than “running around screaming.” However, my neighbor’s kids DID seem to have a blast on their visit. So, maybe? Depends on your kids and your tolerance for potential chaos. I personally wouldn’t bring a toddler, but a slightly older kid who can appreciate a bit of history and serenity? Possibly, yeah. But check. With the lodge, don’t take my word for it.
What's the location like? Is it easy to get around?
Location, location, location! Casavilla is in a good spot - close enough to the main attractions (hello, Taiping Lake Gardens!) but far enough away to feel a bit secluded. You'll need a car, or be prepared to use Grab (taxi service). Walking to some places is theoretically possible, but it can get hot and humid in Taiping… which is why you're escaping, right? The surrounding neighborhood is pretty quiet, mostly residential. There isn’t a ton directly adjacent to the lodge, but a short drive opens up all of Taiping. No complaints with accessibility.
Any downsides? (Be brutally honest!)
Okay, here we go. Brutal honesty time. The Wi-Fi was a little spotty at times (bring a book, people! Seriously). The air conditioning in *my* room wasn't the strongest (but perfectly acceptable, I survived!). The whole place has that kinda of aged colonial feel, with the occasional dust bunny. And, as I may have mentioned, the bathroom. It wasn't *bad*, but it wasn't exactly spa-worthy either. Oh and... (long pause) ... My room did get a little… noisy one night. Like… rustling. I SWEAR I didn’t see anything… it was probably just the trees. Or a particularly adventurous squirrel. Look, no place is perfect. But none of this was bad enough to ruin the experience. Plus, the “quirks” were part of the charm, Honestly.
Would you go back?
Oof. That's the question, isn't it? Truthfully? YES. Absolutely, 100% yes. Even with all its little imperfections. It's not the fanciest place to stay, but it felt genuine. It felt… special. I’ve been to places that were more luxurious, places with better amenities, but I haven’t had an experience that has stuck with me like Casavilla. It was a real escape, a chance to unplug, and to… find myself. And who doesn't need that every now and then? Plus, I need to revisit that damned porch swing. Seriously. And chase the rustling noise again. Totally.


Post a Comment for "Unbelievable Taiping Escape: Casavilla Travellers Lodge Awaits!"