Escape to Paradise: Xidas Garden, Crete's Hidden Gem

Xidas Garden Crete Island Greece

Xidas Garden Crete Island Greece

Escape to Paradise: Xidas Garden, Crete's Hidden Gem

Escape to Paradise: Xidas Garden - The Unfiltered Truth (with a Side of Souvlaki)

Okay, buckle up buttercups, because I’m fresh from a week at Xidas Garden in Crete, and let me tell you, it’s a rollercoaster. Forget those glossy brochures – this is the REAL deal. Prepare for a review that’s less “polished travel magazine” and more “drunk diary entry at 3 AM.” I'm talking honest, slightly messy, and dripping with opinions. Let's dive in, shall we?

First Impressions & Getting There (and the Slightly Traumatic Airport Transfer):

The hype is real. Crete is stunning. The drive from the airport? Less so, unless you consider the near-death experience with the taxi driver's questionable driving skills "stunning." Seriously, I think I aged a decade in those thirty minutes. [Airport transfer, Getting around] Okay, deep breaths. Once we finally arrived, the hotel exterior was… well, not exactly "Instagrammable" at first glance. A bit unassuming, to be frank. But hey, looks can be deceiving, right? And the smell! That gorgeous Cretan air, tinged with the scent of bougainvillea and… something vaguely promising. That's the good stuff.

Accessibility & (Attempted) Inclusivity: [Accessibility]

Now, I’m not someone who needs accessibility features, but I always look at this because it matters, and I always appreciate a place that tries. Xidas Garden… isn't exactly winning awards here. While they technically boast "facilities for disabled guests," it felt more like a half-hearted attempt. The elevator? Sure, but the ramps? Hmmm, let’s just say they wouldn’t exactly pass a rigorous ADA inspection. [Facilities for disabled guests, Elevator] It seemed like some of the common areas were a slight struggle. But, and this is a big BUT, the staff tried. Bless their hearts. They were genuinely eager to help. That counts for something, right?

Rooms – My Sanctuary… and its Quirks: [Available in all rooms, Additional toilet, Air conditioning, Alarm clock, Bathrobes, Bathroom phone, Bathtub, Blackout curtains, Carpeting, Closet, Coffee/tea maker, Complimentary tea, Daily housekeeping, Desk, Extra long bed, Free bottled water, Hair dryer, High floor, In-room safe box, Interconnecting room(s) available, Internet access – LAN, Internet access – wireless, Ironing facilities, Laptop workspace, Linens, Mini bar, Mirror, Non-smoking, On-demand movies, Private bathroom, Reading light, Refrigerator, Safety/security feature, Satellite/cable channels, Scale, Seating area, Separate shower/bathtub, Shower, Slippers, Smoke detector, Socket near the bed, Sofa, Soundproofing, Telephone, Toiletries, Towels, Umbrella, Visual alarm, Wake-up service, Wi-Fi [free], Window that opens]

Okay, my room. Ah, the room! I'd opted for a sea-view (worth it, people, WORTH IT!). The air conditioning? Thank GOD, it worked. The blackout curtains? Essential for those lazy mornings. The bed? Comfortable enough, though I swear I've had dreams more supportive. And the bathroom? Pretty standard, but hey, the toiletries smelled faintly of olives, which is always a win in my book. [Toiletries] The Wi-Fi, blessedly, was free and surprisingly reliable. [Free Wi-Fi in all rooms!, Internet access – wireless, Wi-Fi [free], Internet]

Let's get down to the real talk: the imperfections. The TV signal sometimes went wonky. One fateful morning I managed to have the alarm clock go off at 3 am. Also, the lighting was a bit…dim, the sofa was a bit drab, and the mini-bar was, well, mini. Come on, guys, a girl needs options! But, all things considered, a comfortable haven. Daily housekeeping was a blessing, and the fresh linens? Pure luxury. [Daily housekeeping, Linens]

The Food – Oh, The Glorious Food! (And the Slightly Less Glorious): [Dining, drinking, and snacking, A la carte in restaurant, Alternative meal arrangement, Asian breakfast, Asian cuisine in restaurant, Bar, Bottle of water, Breakfast [buffet], Breakfast service, Buffet in restaurant, Coffee/tea in restaurant, Coffee shop, Desserts in restaurant, Happy hour, International cuisine in restaurant, Poolside bar, Restaurants, Room service [24-hour], Salad in restaurant, Snack bar, Soup in restaurant, Vegetarian restaurant, Western breakfast, Western cuisine in restaurant]

Okay, let's talk about the food. This is where Xidas Garden REALLY shines. The breakfast buffet? A feast. Fresh fruits (the watermelon! Oh, the watermelon!), flaky pastries, mountains of feta cheese, and every type of egg you could ask for. The coffee? Strong enough to raise the dead, which, after my taxi ride, was a good thing. [Breakfast [buffet], Coffee/tea in restaurant]

The onsite restaurant, "Taverna Xidas" (I think that was the name – it's all a bit hazy now) was fantastic. Seriously, their moussaka? Heaven on a plate. The grilled octopus? Melt-in-your-mouth delicious. And the staff? The friendliest, most welcoming people you could ever meet, constantly making sure you have a full plate and an even fuller glass of wine. I'm still dreaming of that Greek salad. [Restaurants, Western cuisine in restaurant, Greek salad]

Now, for the less-than-perfect. The "Asian cuisine" was a… brave attempt. Let's just say, stick to the Greek food. I'm glad they had a bottle of water ready to go and a great [Bar, Poolside bar]

Ways to Relax & Things to Do – Sunshine, Spas, and Slightly Disappointing Saunas: [Ways to relax, Body scrub, Body wrap, Fitness center, Foot bath, Gym/fitness, Massage, Pool with view, Sauna, Spa, Spa/sauna, Steamroom, Swimming pool, Swimming pool [outdoor]]

Okay, so what's the deal with relaxing at Xidas Garden? The outdoor pool? Gorgeous. The view? Sublime. I basically lived there. The pool with the view was everything. [Swimming pool [outdoor], Pool with view]

The spa? Mixed bag. The massage was great, a total muscle melt. [Massage] But the sauna? Well, let's just say it wasn't quite as hot as I expected. Could have been a bit more invigorating, you know? [Sauna, Spa]

The fitness center? I peeked in. It had the basics. I didn't use it. Sorry folks, I was too busy eating and drinking.

Cleanliness & Safety – Sanitized… Mostly: [Cleanliness and safety, Anti-viral cleaning products, Breakfast in room, Breakfast takeaway service, Cashless payment service, Daily disinfection in common areas, Doctor/nurse on call, First aid kit, Hand sanitizer, Hot water linen and laundry washing, Hygiene certification, Individually-wrapped food options, Physical distancing of at least 1 meter, Professional-grade sanitizing services, Room sanitization opt-out available, Rooms sanitized between stays, Safe dining setup, Sanitized kitchen and tableware items, Shared stationery removed, Staff trained in safety protocol, Sterilizing equipment]

In these crazy times, you worry, right? Xidas Garden seemed to be taking things seriously. Hand sanitizer everywhere. The staff wore masks. Tables were spaced apart. They seemed to be using those anti-viral cleaning products. [Anti-viral cleaning products, Hand sanitizer, Physical distancing of at least 1 meter, Safe dining setup] I mostly felt safe. Although, I did spot one rogue fly in the restaurant, flying around over breakfast - so maybe don't stare directly up at the ceiling. [Daily disinfection in common areas, Staff trained in safety protocol]

Services & Conveniences – The Good, the Bad, and the Slightly Chaotic: [Services and conveniences, Air conditioning in public area, Audio-visual equipment for special events, Business facilities, Cash withdrawal, Concierge, Contactless check-in/out, Convenience store, Currency exchange, Daily housekeeping, Doorman, Dry cleaning, Elevator, Essential condiments, Facilities for disabled guests, Food delivery, Gift/souvenir shop, Indoor venue for special events, Invoice provided, Ironing service, Laundry service, Luggage storage, Meeting/banquet facilities, Meetings, Meeting stationery, On-site event hosting, Outdoor venue for special events, Projector/LED display, Safety deposit boxes, Seminars, Shrine, Smoking area, Terrace, Wi-Fi for special events, Xerox/fax in business center]

The concierge? Super helpful, suggesting restaurants and arranging excursions. [Concierge] Laundry service? A lifesaver after all that sunshine and swimming. [Laundry service] The gift shop? Mostly overpriced trinkets, but hey, I did find a cute little ceramic plate. [Gift/souvenir shop] And the Wi-Fi in public areas? Decent. [Air conditioning in public area, Wi-Fi for special events]

But here's where things get a little… disorganized. Getting a simple invoice sometimes took an eternity. The "

Natchez Getaway: Unbeatable Days Inn Deals! (MS)

Book Now

Xidas Garden Crete Island Greece

Xidas Garden Crete Island Greece

Alright, buckle up buttercups, because we're about to dive headfirst into my "Xidas Garden Crete… Or bust!" adventure. This ain't your sanitized Instagram travel guide. This is real life. Prepare for sun, sand, potential sunburns, and my own personal brand of delightful chaos.

Xidas Garden Crete: A Fool's (Potentially Blissful) Errand - My Itinerary (More of a Suggestion, Really)

Day 1: Arrival & The Great Olive Oil Debacle (Or, Why Luggage Matters)

  • Morning (aka, "Get Me to My Fucking Villa ASAP"): Landed in Crete. Honestly, a five-hour flight felt like a week. Airport was its usual delightful self – full of bewildered families and the incessant drone of announcements in a language I barely understand. My luggage? Mysteriously MIA. Brilliant. Just brilliant. Cue internal meltdown, followed by a forced smile for the taxi driver who, thankfully, spoke some English.
    • Quirky Observation: The smell in the taxi? Pure, unadulterated Mediterranean – a mix of exhaust fumes, sun-baked earth, and a hint of something vaguely fishy. Charming.
  • Afternoon (aka, "Villa Hunting & Olive Oil Dreams"): Found the villa! Xidas Garden. Photos looked gorgeous. Reality? Even better. That view! Seriously, worth the missing luggage. The air, the light, the… oh, wait, my luggage. Damn it. But, I wasn't going to let a missing suitcase spoil the mood. I'd heard amazing things about Cretan olive oil. I was determined to find the best.
    • Imperfection & Rambling: Okay, so I may have spent a good hour just staring at the Aegean Sea, muttering to myself about olives and the existential dread of lost underwear. Sue me. This is what you call a vacation after all.
  • Evening (aka, "First Dinner, and the Ouzo Conspiracy".): Found a taverna near the Villa. Met a lovely couple from Boston, who seemed to know the ins and outs of Crete. They had the best advice and told me all the secret spots to find the best food on the island. I indulged in a Horiatiki salad (the tomatoes were so red, so juicy, I almost wept). And Ouzo. Ouzo! A shot and BAM. Ouzo is not my friend. Strong opinion. I'll get back to you on this.

Day 2: Elafonisi Beach & The Sand That Conquered Me

  • Morning (aka, "Pink Sand, Pink Pants, Pink Lady - the dream"): We drove to Elafonisi. The road was winding, dramatic, and definitely tested my driving skills (or lack thereof). Elafonisi itself? That pink sand! The water? Crystal clear. The crowds? Well, that's a different story. But I found a spot, set up shop and I thought, "This is it. This is paradise."
    • Emotional Reaction (Good): Snuggled into my beach chair, feeling the warm sun on my skin. My worries melted away. Just me, the sea, the sand, and the… the feeling.
  • Afternoon (aka, "Sunscreen Mishaps & Sandwich Regret"): Spent the afternoon sunbathing and swimming. Note to self: apply sunscreen more frequently. I looked like a lobster in the beginning, but I didn't learn my lesson. I tried some street food - a very questionable sandwich that gave me a stomach ache. Lesson learned. Don't eat random sandwiches.
    • Messy Structure: So, I got sunburned, I ate a bad sandwich, and I was starting to think I was cursed. But the pink sand, the turquoise water… it made up for it. Almost. The moment I looked at the waves crashing, I instantly forgot about my stomach, and I was transported to the moment.
  • Evening (aka, "Taunting the Gods… and Eating Delicious Food"): Back at the Villa, nursing my now-massive sunburn. Ate grilled octopus. It was tender, delicious, and a complete triumph over my sandwich-induced misery. Maybe the gods were appeased?

Day 3: Samaria Gorge - My Descent Into (Relatively) Pleasant Chaos

  • Morning (aka, "The Hike of a Thousand Regrets (Followed by a Thousand Wonders)"): Woke up at stupid o'clock to hike Samaria Gorge. Hiked. Hiked! Me! A person more accustomed to the couch than the outdoors. The scenery was stunning – towering cliffs, rushing streams, the whole shebang. But the hike… the hike was HARD. Like, "I'm pretty sure my legs are going to fall off" hard.
    • Quirky Observation: The little goats that kept staring at me? They seemed to be enjoying themselves. Smug bastards.
  • Afternoon (aka, "My Feet Tried to Quit, But We Kept Going"): We limped our way through. Every rock, every incline, was a victory. We saw a small chapel and a few friendly locals who, bless their hearts, offered encouragement. I felt a weird sense of accomplishment.
    • Emotional Reaction (Good): When we finally reached the end, near the sea, I was overwhelmed. The sheer effort of it all, the grandeur of the Gorge… it was unbelievable.
  • Evening (aka, "Pasta, Tears, and a Well-Deserved Nap"): Back at the villa, legs throbbing, soul elated. Ate a mountain of pasta. Took the longest, most glorious nap of my life.

Day 4: Knossos and the Labyrinth of My Brain (Or, The Minotaur's Got Nothing on My Memory)

  • Morning (aka, "Temple Hopping"): Drove to Knossos. The Minoan Palace! Supposedly, a famous historical site to discover. I wandered around, listened to the guide for about five to six minutes before I got distracted and started taking photos of the architecture.
    • Opinionated Language: The ruins were interesting as were the stories. The stories were hard to keep track of, though. But the site was crowded.
  • Afternoon (aka, "More Beach, More Relaxation, More Peace"): Went back to the beach for a relaxing afternoon. Just because. It was needed.
    • Emotional Reaction (Good): It was perfect. The sand, the waves, the sun – pure bliss.
  • Evening (aka, "What is life?): I spent the whole evening mulling on my experience. I was so glad I came.

Day 5: Rethymno and Farewell (Until Next Time, Crete!)

  • Morning (aka, "Rethymno is calling"): Spent this day exploring Rethymno! The town had a lovely old Venetian harbor. I walked a bit just to enjoy the vibe.
    • Quirky Observation: Every corner you turned you'd find a new bar.
  • Afternoon (aka, "Goodbyes"): Back to the villa, I packed and had an amazing lunch at the villa.
    • Emotional Reaction (Good): I wanted to stay and experience more.
  • Evening (aka, "Off the beaten path"): Packed my bags for the airport. The end.

Final Thoughts (aka, "Did I Love Crete? Hells YES!")

My trip to Xidas Garden was everything I hoped for and so much more. It was sunshine, sand, history, and a boatload of laughter. The lack of luggage was a pain, the sunburns were brutal, and the Ouzo is still suspect… But those moments, those experiences… they're what made it authentic. And, I can’t wait to come back. Crete, you were… everything.

Coon Rapids Getaway: Unbelievable Baymont by Wyndham Deal!

Book Now

Xidas Garden Crete Island Greece

Xidas Garden Crete Island Greece```html

Escape to Paradise: Xidas Garden - FAQ (Because Let's Be Real, You Have Questions)

So, is Xidas Garden REALLY as amazing as all the Instagram pics make it seem? (Spoiler Alert: Probably Not, Also, Yes)

Okay, let's get one thing straight: those perfectly-posed photos, the ones with the golden hour light and the strategically placed bougainvillea… yeah, they’re a *part* of the story. Xidas Garden *is* ridiculously beautiful. Think cascading waterfalls, lush greenery, the air smelling of a thousand herbs you can't name (but secretly want to). BUT! Here's the real deal: the 'perfect' photo angles often *miss* the slightly wonky gazebo (it adds character, I swear!), the occasional rogue chicken wandering through (they’re friendly though, mostly), and the fact that you’ll probably spill some of that delicious Cretan wine on yourself at least once. I did. Twice. And the second time was entirely my fault for trying to take a selfie while laughing at a goat. So yes, Instagram is right. It's gorgeous. But it's also wonderfully, beautifully *imperfect*, in the best way possible. It’s the wrinkles in the face of a gorgeous old soul.

How do I even *get* to this secret garden? Is it hidden at the end of a perilous, Indiana Jones-esque trek? (Please, PLEASE say it is!)

Haha, not quite. Though the idea *is* tempting! Okay, the journey is part of the adventure. It's not *super* hidden, thank goodness, though it’s definitely not as obvious as a McDonald's on the high street. You'll likely need a car, and thank God, I'm no good at public transport after a few too many beers. The drive is scenic, but the road is narrow and winds a bit. Prepare for that. It’s actually a good thing, because it creates a certain mystique. You drive, you drive, and then… BOOM! Garden. Don’t expect signs pointing to the exact coordinates. That’s part of the allure, the ‘secret’ aspect. The directions are clear and easy to find online, thank the gods, because I'm hopeless at directions. I got hopelessly lost for around an hour the first time, circling around and around, feeling like a complete idiot. Eventually, I did find it. Triumph! Remember, you're in Crete. Even if you do get lost, you'll likely stumble upon a charming little village, and meet some friendly locals... who will probably laugh at you. (They're good like that.)

Okay, but the food... is it *actually* as good as everyone says? (I'm a foodie, so don't disappoint me!)

Oh. My. God. The food. LISTEN! If you're a foodie, prepare to weep tears of pure joy. Seriously. It's not just *good*; it’s soul-stirringly, life-changingly, *amazing*. The tomatoes? Sun-ripened, bursting with flavour. The olive oil? Liquid gold. The grilled meats? Perfection. I swear, a piece of roasted lamb just *melted* in my mouth. And the desserts... Oh, the desserts. Forget your diet. Forget everything you know about willpower. Just... eat. The owner, a lovely older gentleman named George (I think), probably, anyway, is passionate about food. He cares about the food. You can *taste* the love, the dedication, the centuries of Cretan culinary tradition. One thing: *do* try the house wine. It's not always the most refined, but it perfectly complements the rustic charm of the whole experience. And you know, it's cheap. So, drink up!

Is it kid-friendly? (Asking for… a friend. And by 'friend,' I mean my spawn.)

Erm… it *can* be. But it's not a playground. It's more of a relaxed, natural environment. So, if your kids are the type who can appreciate a bit of beauty without needing constant stimulation, then yes! They *might* love it. There's space for kids to wander (but keep an eye on them near the waterfalls!), and the animals (the chickens, the occasional goat) are entertaining. However, if your child is a Velcro baby who throws tantrums at the slightest inconvenience, maybe think twice. It's not the place for a screaming match. Relaxed, that’s the key. Remember that.

What should I absolutely, positively NOT do at Xidas Garden? (Besides, you know, setting the place on fire.)

Okay, besides the obvious arson thing, here’s a little list of ‘don’ts’: * **Don't be a loud, obnoxious tourist.** (This should be a universal rule, really.) Embrace the peace. * **Don't expect lightning-fast service.** This isn't a fast-food restaurant. Everything is made with care, and it takes time. Learn to relax. You're on *holiday*, for crying out loud. * **Don't be rude to the staff.** Seriously, be nice. They work hard. They're lovely people. Treat them with kindness. * **Don't go expecting a perfect, manicured garden.** Embrace the imperfections. That's part of the charm! If you want a perfectly-trimmed hedge, go to a Japanese garden. * **Don't bring your own food and drinks.** Support the local business! Plus, the food there is *amazing*, remember?

My biggest worry: the toilet situation. Be honest, is it a horror show?

Okay, look. I get it. Public restrooms can be a source of anxiety. Especially when you're in a remote, "hidden gem" kind of place. The toilets at Xidas Garden? They aren't the Ritz. They're functional. Cleanish. Adequate. They do the job. Expect a bit of a rustic vibe. There might be a *slight* smell (nature!), but it's nothing a little hand sanitizer can't handle. Just pack some wipes, and you'll be fine. Honestly? The gorgeousness of the rest of the place will make you forget all about the bathrooms. Maybe take a deep breath before you go and tell yourself, 'I've seen worse,' because, let's be real, you probably have.

Okay, you mentioned the wine... How much should I expect to drink? (Asking for a friend, again.)

Alright, let's be real. The wine is good, the environment is beautiful, and you're on vacation. If you're like me, *you're* going to drink. It’s inevitable. I mean, I arrived, did the obligatory water-drinking, and then, well... let's just say the carafe was empty by the end of the meal, and the world started looking a bit… *sweeter*. You *will* want to savor it though. Savor everything. Crete is like that. The house wine is cheap and cheerful. Don’t expect a vintage, but it pairs perfectlyHotelicity

Xidas Garden Crete Island Greece

Xidas Garden Crete Island Greece

Xidas Garden Crete Island Greece

Xidas Garden Crete Island Greece

Post a Comment for "Escape to Paradise: Xidas Garden, Crete's Hidden Gem"